SEO is clearly an emerging industry every day more and more people decide to try their hands at learning techniques to increase their rankings. However many of these newbies give in to the dark side thinking itâ€™s faster, quicker, and easier. However many of these same people end up getting their websites or their clients websites banned. So for those of you who want to dabble in the black arts here are few tips:
- Don’t employ risky techniques on websites that you don’t want to lose. There’s a reason black hats have hundreds of domains.
- Don’t link together more websites than you are wiling to lose. If all of your sites are linked together and you get a hand ban don’t think they aren’t going to look at a few other sites you linked to or are linked to you.
- Don’t link your company website to your clients websites.
- Don’t link your clients website to your website.
- Don’t link your clients websites together. If one gets banned and they check through all of them and ban them all, you are going to have more than one angry person calling you in the morning.
- If you do client work set a fake SEO company website. If you get a client banned and need to give up your SEO company when you file for reinclusion, itâ’s good to have an established SEO company website in your back pocket to act as a sacrifice.
- The last and most important is don’t be a whiner. If you are breaking the rules be prepared to pay the consequences. It will suck losing a site that was bringing in a couple of G’s a month, but if you play heavily in the dark arts you will get burned from time to time. I’d even go so far as to say you aren’t a real black hat until you’ve had something banned. So go to the pub drink yourself silly, and then get back to work the next day, hopefully having learned something.